|Invasion Attack (2013)|
|Promotion||New Japan Pro Wrestling|
|Date||April 7, 2013|
Invasion Attack was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) promoted by New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW). The event took place on April 7, 2013, in Tokyo at Ryōgoku Kokugikan. The event featured nine matches, five of which were contested for championships. As part of the "invasion" theme, the event featured title matches involving championships from Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) and the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) as well as participation from outside workers Akebono and Bob Sapp. It was the first event under the Invasion Attack name.
Invasion Attack featured nine professional wrestling matches that involved different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds and storylines. Wrestlers portrayed villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters in the scripted events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches.
The first title match, where Time Splitters (Alex Shelley and KUSHIDA) successfully defended the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship against Apollo 55 (Prince Devitt and Ryusuke Taguchi), led to a major storyline development, when Devitt turned on Taguchi after the match and joined forces with the returning King Fale, now renamed "Bad Luck Fale". The turn led to the formation of Bullet Club later in the year. In the second title match, NJPW wrestler Tama Tonga and CMLL wrestler El Terrible successfully defended the CMLL World Tag Team Championship against the Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) duo of La Máscara and Valiente. The sixth match of the event, a tag team grudge match between the teams of Hirooki Goto and Yuji Nagata and Laughter7 (Katsuyori Shibata and Kazushi Sakuraba) had to be ended early, when Sakuraba dislocated his right elbow, which would sideline him for the next three months. The event was concluded with what NJPW billed as a "triple main event", featuring three title matches. The third title match of the event featured the NJPW in-ring debut of Rob Conway, who successfully defended the NWA World Heavyweight Championship against Satoshi Kojima. In the fourth title match, Shinsuke Nakamura successfully defended the IWGP Intercontinental Championship against IWGP Tag Team Champion Davey Boy Smith Jr., avenging a first round loss suffered during the 2013 New Japan Cup. In the final match of the evening, the winner of the 2013 New Japan Cup, Kazuchika Okada, defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi to regain the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and start his second reign as the top champion of NJPW. Post-match Okada was challenged by Minoru Suzuki, which led to the main event of Wrestling Dontaku 2013.
|1||Time Splitters (Alex Shelley and Kushida) (c) defeated Apollo 55 (Prince Devitt and Ryusuke Taguchi)||Tag team match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship||10:42|
|2||Akebono, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Manabu Nakanishi and Super Strong Machine defeated CHAOS (Bob Sapp, Takashi Iizuka, Tomohiro Ishii and Yoshi-Hashi)||Eight-man tag team match||10:00|
|3||Tama Tonga and El Terrible (c) defeated La Máscara and Valiente||Tag team match for the CMLL World Tag Team Championship||08:57|
|4||Complete Players (Masato Tanaka and Yujiro Takahashi) defeated G.B.H. (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma)||Tag team match||10:41|
|5||Minoru Suzuki (with Taichi) defeated Toru Yano||Singles match||10:09|
|6||Hirooki Goto and Yuji Nagata defeated Laughter7 (Katsuyori Shibata and Kazushi Sakuraba) by referee stoppage||Tag team match||11:32|
|7||Rob Conway (c) (with Bruce Tharpe and Jax Dane) defeated Satoshi Kojima (with Hiroyoshi Tenzan)||Singles match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship||14:24|
|8||Shinsuke Nakamura (c) defeated Davey Boy Smith Jr. (with Lance Archer and Taka Michinoku)||Singles match for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship||18:04|
|9||Kazuchika Okada (with Gedo) defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi (c)||Singles match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship||31:41|
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Invasion Attack (in Japanese). New Japan Pro Wrestling. Retrieved on 2014-01-04.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 新日本プロレス「Invasion Attack」 (in Japanese). Sports Navi. Yahoo! (2013-04-07). Retrieved on 2014-01-04.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Caldwell, James 2013-04-07. Caldwell's New Japan "Invasion Attack" iPPV report 4/7: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of new IWGP World champion, U.S. stars in title matches, more . Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved on 2014-01-04.
- ↑ Grabianowski, Ed. How Pro Wrestling Works . HowStuffWorks, Inc.. Discovery Communications. Retrieved on 2014-09-13.
- ↑ 「イッツ・リィィィアル!! 」なんとアンダーソン、トンガとも合体!! デヴィットが外国人軍団"Bullet Club"結成!! (in Japanese). New Japan Pro Wrestling (2013-05-11). Retrieved on 2014-01-04.
- ↑ 吉野家Presents Kizuna Road 2013 (in Japanese). New Japan Pro Wrestling. Retrieved on 2014-01-04.
- ↑ Meltzer, Dave (April 15, 2013). "Apr 15 2013 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: The absolutely gigantic 2013 WrestleMania weekend issue, packed full of news from all over the world". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, California: 22. ISSN 1083-9593.
- ↑ Meltzer, Dave (January 27, 2014). "Jan 27 2014 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: 2013 Annual awards issue, best in the world in numerous categories, plus all the news in pro-wrestling and MMA over the past week and more". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, California: 21. ISSN 1083-9593.