Jeffrey Cobb (born July 11, 1982) is an American professional wrestler, currently signed to New Japan Pro Wrestling, where he is a former NEVER Openweight Champion. He is also known for his work in Ring of Honor, where he is a former ROH World Television Champion.
Cobb also worked for promotions on the American independent circuit, most notably Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (PWG), where he is a former one-time PWG World Champion and also the winner of PWG's 2018 Battle of Los Angeles tournament and a former one-time World Tag Team Champion.
Professional wrestling career[edit | edit source]
New Japan Pro-Wrestling (2017–present)[edit | edit source]
On November 6, 2017, Cobb was announced as a participant in New Japan Pro-Wrestling's 2017 World Tag League, where he would team with Michael Elgin. Cobb and Elgin did not get along behind the scenes with Elgin making disparaging remarks about his tag team partner in private messages that were made public while the tournament was still in progress. The two finished the tournament on December 9 with a record of four wins and three losses, failing to advance to the finals.
On June 11, 2018, it was announced that Cobb would return to New Japan Pro Wrestling for the Kizuna Road tour. On June 17, it was announced that Jeff Cobb would face Hirooki Goto for his NEVER Openweight Championship,  after he challenged Goto during the tour. He would unsuccessfully challenge Goto for his title during the tour.
On April 6, 2019, at G1 Supercard, Cobb defeated Will Ospreay in a Winner takes all match to win the NEVER Openweight Championship, where his ROH World Television Championship was also on the line. He lost the NEVER Openweight Champion to Taichi on May 3 at Wrestling Dontaku. From July 13 until August 11, Cobb took part in the 2019 G1 Climax, where he finished the tournament with a record of four wins and five losses, failing to advance to the finals of the tournament. From November 16 until December 8, Cobb and Mikey Nicholls took part in the 2019 World Tag League, failing to win the tournament with a record of nine wins and six losses.
In July 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States, Cobb was unable to work for NJPW events in Japan, leading him to take part in Lion's Break Collision series. The following month, Cobb took part in the New Japan Cup USA, as part of the NJPW Strong series, losing to eventual winner KENTA in the semifinals on August 14. After KENTA won the tournament on August 21, Cobb attacked him, before challenging for his contract to face Jon Moxley for the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship. On September 11, at Fighting Spirit Unleashed, Cobb was defeated by KENTA. From September 19 until October 16, Cobb took part in the 2020 G1 Climax, finishing the tournament with a record of four wins and five losses, failling to advance to the finals of the tournament. On November 15, Cobb was revealed as the newest member of The Empire, teaming with The Great O-Khan for the 2020 World Tag League, turning heel in the process. Cobb and O-Khan finished the tournament with a record of five wins and four losses, failling advance to the finals of the tournament.
In wrestling[edit | edit source]
- Finishing moves
- Tour of the Islands (Reverse-spin scoop powerslam)
- Gachimuchi-sault (Standing Moonsault) – 2019–present
- Signature moves
- Multiple suplex variations
- Athletic-Plex (Spinning leg hook belly-to-back suplex)
- Bam-Bam's (Triple rolling gutwrench)
- Delayed vertical
- Pop-up sitout powerbomb
- Running European uppercut
- Sit-out Tombstone Piledriver
- Slamfest (Standing moonsault followed by a standing shooting star press)
- "Mr. Athletic"
- "The Hatchet"
- Entrance themes
- "Eater of World" by Yonosuke Kitamura
Championships and accomplishments[edit | edit source]
- New Japan Pro-Wrestling
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated
- Ranked No. 50 of the top 500 singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2016
- Ring of Honor
- Move of the Year (2018) for Tour of the Islands
- ROH World Television Championship (1 time)
References[edit | edit source]
- Jeff Cobb . CageMatch.
- 【『World Tag』出場チーム決定!】 "新顔"が続々登場! ジュース&キャラハン組! エルガン&ジェフ・コブ組！バレッタ&チャッキーT組! 復活のヘナーレは真壁とタッグ結成! (in Japanese). New Japan Pro-Wrestling (2017-11-06). Retrieved on 2017-11-06.
- Radican, Sean 2017-12-06. Michael Elgin accused of mishandling sexual assault claim against former student, several independent companies cancel Elgin from their upcoming events . Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved on 2017-12-07.
- 鉄拳Presents World Tag League 2017 (in Japanese). New Japan Pro-Wrestling. Retrieved on 2017-12-09.
- NJPW. Goto defeats Elgin and regains his NEVER Openweight Championship!! Next No.1 contender for Goto is Jeff cobb!! | NEW JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING (in en-US).
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated (PWI) 500 for 2016 . The Internet Wrestling Database. Retrieved on 2016-09-01.
- MOVE OF THE YEAR: JEFF COBB'S TOUR OF THE ISLANDS . Ring of Honor.