|Power Struggle (2015)|
Promotional poster for the event, featuring various NJPW wrestlers
|Promotion||New Japan Pro Wrestling|
|Date||November 7, 2015|
|Venue||Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium|
|Power Struggle chronology|
Power Struggle (2015) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) promoted by New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW). The event took place on November 7, 2015, in Osaka, Osaka, at the Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium and featured nine matches, two of which were contested for championships as well as the finals of the 2015 Super Jr. Tag Tournament. In addition to airing worldwide through NJPW's internet streaming site, New Japan Pro Wrestling World, the event also aired in Japan as a regular PPV through SKY PerfecTV!. It was the fifth event under the Power Struggle name.
Power Struggle featured nine professional wrestling matches that involved different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds and storylines. Wrestlers portrayed villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters in the scripted events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches.
Power Struggle was main evented by Shinsuke Nakamura defending the IWGP Intercontinental Championship against Karl Anderson. After regaining the title from Hirooki Goto on September 27, 2015, at Destruction in Kobe, Nakamura was immediately confronted and challenged by IWGP Tag Team Champion Karl Anderson, who noted he had defeated both Nakamura and Goto during the 2015 G1 Climax and therefore deserved a title shot. The challenge was promptly accepted by Nakamura. The following day, it was announced that the match would be taking place at November's Power Struggle. Prior to the title match, NJPW played up Nakamura and Anderson's long history together, which included them training together at NJPW's dojo in Los Angeles at the start of their careers. Much like the previous year, the IWGP Heavyweight Championship was not be defended at Power Struggle, giving the IWGP Intercontinental Championship match the main event spot. Nakamura announced that should he get past Anderson, he would next defend the title at January's Wrestle Kingdom 10 in Tokyo Dome in an open challenge. It was teased that the challenger would show up at Power Struggle.
Another top match at Power Struggle saw IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada team up with Kazushi Sakuraba to take on Hiroshi Tanahashi and Katsuyori Shibata. This built up the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 10 in Tokyo Dome, where Okada would defend his title against Tanahashi. Originally Tanahashi was scheduled to team with Kota Ibushi, but on November 2 NJPW announced that Ibushi was sidelined indefinitely with a cervical disc herniation, replacing him with Shibata. This put the former teacher–student pairing of Sakuraba and Shibata together in the ring for the first time since their match against each other at July's Dominion 7.5 in Osaka-jo Hall. That match was won by Shibata.
Power Struggle also featured a match for the NEVER Openweight Championship with Tomohiro Ishii defending against Tomoaki Honma. After regaining the title from Togi Makabe on October 12 at King of Pro-Wrestling, Ishii was quickly challenged by Honma, leading to his first title defense. The two previously wrestled for the then vacant NEVER Openweight Championship on February 14, 2015, at The New Beginning in Sendai, where Ishii was victorious. They also met during the 2015 G1 Climax, where Honma picked up his only win of the tournament over Ishii. The win culminated a two-year storyline, where Honma wrestled 17 G1 Climax matches, before finally picking up his first ever win. Ishii welcomed Honma's challenge, considering the previous loss against him a "disgrace".
Prior to King of Pro-Wrestling, Tetsuya Naito had announced that he would be bringing in a pareja (partner) to witness his match against Hiroshi Tanahashi on October 12, contested for the right to challenge for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at Wrestle Kingdom 10. Naito had recently joined the Los Ingobernables stable in the Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) promotion and the announcement led to speculation that he was bringing in one of his partners from the Mexican promotion. Instead of being any of Naito's CMLL partners, the pareja was instead revealed as Takaaki Watanabe, who made a surprise return to NJPW following a two-year learning excursion in the United States, but his attack on Tanahashi was stopped by Katsuyori Shibata, who had feuded with Naito over the past months, and his tag team partner Hirooki Goto. After Naito had been defeated by Tanahashi, Watanabe attacked Goto, laying him out. In a post-match interview, Naito renamed Watanabe "King of Darkness" Evil. The following day, NJPW announced that Watanabe, as "Evil", would be wrestling his first match since his return at Power Struggle against Goto. NJPW also announced that Naito would miss the entire "Road to Power Struggle" tour as well as Power Struggle itself. Naito was sidelined due to an earlobe injury he had suffered in the match against Tanahashi, and on October 23 returned to CMLL, working alongside his Los Ingobernables stablemates in a non-wrestling role.
Power Struggle was also set to feature the finals of the 2015 Super Jr. Tag Tournament. The finalists of the eight-team single-elimination tournament were determined between October 24 and November 1. Matt Sydal and Ricochet advanced to the finals with wins over Time Splitters (Alex Shelley and Kushida) and The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson), while Roppongi Vice (Beretta and Rocky Romero) advanced with wins over Bullet Club (Chase Owens and Kenny Omega) and reigning IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions reDRagon (Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly). The other four tag teams in the tournament were put in an eight-man tag team match. This match also served as a build-up to a future IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match between champion Kenny Omega and challenger Kushida.
The third match of the event, Evil's first NJPW match in two years, ended in a disqualification, when Tetsuya Naito made a surprise appearance and attacked Goto. Following the match, Katsuyori Shibata ran in to save Goto, continuing the rivalry between the two teams. In the finals of the 2015 Super Jr. Tag Tournament, Matt Sydal and Ricochet emerged victorious over Roppongi Vice. After the match, Sydal and Ricochet made a challenge for reDRagon's IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship, but were interrupted by Roppongi Vice, who claimed they had also earned a title shot by defeating reDRagon in the semifinals of the tournament. This led to The Young Bucks coming out and stating that as former champions, they also wanted a shot at the title, setting up a future four-way title program.
In the first title match of the event, Tomohiro Ishii made his first successful defense of the NEVER Openweight Championship against crowd favorite Tomoaki Honma. In the semi-main event, Hiroshi Tanahashi and Katsuyori Shibata defeated IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada and Kazushi Sakuraba with Shibata pinning his former partner Sakuraba for the win. After the match, Okada and Tanahashi brawled with each other. In the main event, Shinsuke Nakamura made his first successful defense of the IWGP Intercontinental Championship against Karl Anderson, despite outside interference from Anderson's Bullet Club stablemates. After the match, A.J. Styles, who had accompanied Anderson to the match, entered the ring and challenged Nakamura to a title match. Nakamura closed the show by accepting the challenge for Tokyo Dome.
Sean Radican of Pro Wrestling Torch gave the event an overall score of 8.0, stating that "although this wasn't a blow the doors off show, it was really good". He praised the NEVER Openweight Championship match, calling it "an absolute must-see match" and giving it a rating of four and three quarter stars out of five. Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter called Power Struggle "a textbook PPV to lead into the big show of the year, as when it was over, you knew all the big matches and they gave the impression they’d be great, plus this was a great show even without the angles". He too named the NEVER Openweight Championship the "highlight of the show", calling it a match of the year candidate "with reservations", adding "[h]ad Honma won, as the crowd was hoping, it could have been the match of the year, but they once again held that off". He gave the match four and three quarter stars out of five.
Two days after Power Struggle, NJPW announced three more title matches for Wrestle Kingdom 10 in Tokyo Dome; Shinsuke Nakamura defending the IWGP Intercontinental Championship against A.J. Styles, Kenny Omega defending the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship against Kushida and reDRagon defending the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship in a four-way match with Matt Sydal and Ricochet, Roppongi Vice and The Young Bucks.
|1||Jushin Thunder Liger, Máscara Dorada, Ryusuke Taguchi and Tiger Mask defeated David Finlay, Jay White, Sho Tanaka and Yohei Komatsu||Eight-man tag team match||07:46|
|2||Bullet Club (Cody Hall, Doc Gallows and Tama Tonga) defeated Captain New Japan, Juice Robinson and Togi Makabe||Six-man tag team match||07:53|
|3||Hirooki Goto defeated EVIL by disqualification||Singles match||08:53|
|4||Alex Shelley, Bobby Fish, Kushida and Kyle O'Reilly defeated Bullet Club (Chase Owens, Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson)||Eight-man tag team match||08:53|
|5||Matt Sydal and Ricochet defeated Roppongi Vice (Beretta and Rocky Romero)||Tag team match; finals of the 2015 Super Jr. Tag Tournament||16:06|
|6||Bullet Club (A.J. Styles and Bad Luck Fale) defeated CHAOS (Toru Yano and Yoshi-Hashi)||Tag team match||09:02|
|7||Tomohiro Ishii (c) defeated Tomoaki Honma||Singles match for the NEVER Openweight Championship||17:26|
|8||Hiroshi Tanahashi and Katsuyori Shibata defeated Kazuchika Okada (with Gedo) and Kazushi Sakuraba||Tag team match||15:33|
|9||Shinsuke Nakamura (c) defeated Karl Anderson (with A.J. Styles, Bad Luck Fale, Chase Owens, Cody Hall, Doc Gallows and Tama Tonga)||Singles match for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship||21:37|
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Power Struggle (in Japanese). New Japan Pro Wrestling. Retrieved on 2015-11-07.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Meltzer, Dave 2015-11-06. NJPW Power Struggle live results 2015: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Karl Anderson for IC title . Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved on 2015-11-07.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 11/7 NJPW "Power Struggle" PPV – tourney finals, IC Title match, Styles vs. Nakamura set for Tokyo Dome . Pro Wrestling Torch (2015-11-07). Retrieved on 2015-11-07.
- ↑ ja:新日本プロレス 15.11.7 大阪大会 (in Japanese). SKY PerfecTV!. Archived from the original on 2015-11-02. Retrieved on 2015-11-02.
- ↑ Grabianowski, Ed. How Pro Wrestling Works . HowStuffWorks, Inc.. Discovery Communications. Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 ja:中邑vsアンダーソン！ 棚橋＆飯伏vsオカダ＆桜庭！石井vs本間！後藤vsEvil（元・渡辺）、ジュニアタッグT決勝戦！ 11.7大阪大会の主要カード決定！ (in Japanese). New Japan Pro Wrestling (2015-10-13). Archived from the original on 2015-10-13. Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ Caldwell, James 2015-10-13. Big matches set for NJPW’s "Power Struggle" . Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ Meltzer, Dave 2015-10-13. NJPW announces next PPV, major junior heavyweight tag team tournament . Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ Rose, Bryan 2015-09-27. NJPW Destruction In Kobe results: Shinuske Nakamura vs. Hirooki Goto I-C title bout, Nakamura vs. Bad Luck Fale . Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ ja:ＩＣ王座初防衛戦の中邑がアンダーソンを警戒 (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports (2015-09-29). Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ ja:アンダーソンが中邑のＩＣ王座奪取に自信満々 (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports (2015-10-31). Retrieved on 2015-10-31.
- ↑ ja:中邑が１・４ドームＩＣ戦の挑戦者を公募 (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports (2015-10-24). Retrieved on 2015-11-06.
- ↑ Meltzer, Dave 2015-11-06. Daily update: WWE Shuffles their lineup, Bobby Lashley fights James Thompson . Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved on 2015-11-06.
- ↑ ja:飯伏幸太が長期欠場 頸椎椎間板ヘルニアで復帰時期は未定 (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports (2015-11-02). Retrieved on 2015-11-02.
- ↑ Japan Notes – Major injury, full NJPW Power Struggle card, Sanada . Pro Wrestling Torch (2015-11-02). Retrieved on 2015-11-02.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 ja:【11.7大阪大会の全カード決定！】飯伏欠場により、セミは棚橋＆柴田vsオカダ＆桜庭に！ 「Super Jr. Tag T」決勝はリコシェ＆サイダルvs六本木ヴァイス！ (in Japanese). New Japan Pro Wrestling (2015-11-02). Archived from the original on 2015-11-02. Retrieved on 2015-11-02.
- ↑ Macklin, Matthew 2015-11-02. Kota Ibushi injured, Power Struggle lineup and more: New Japan Pro Wrestling news and notes . Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved on 2015-11-02.
- ↑ ja:【新日・大阪城決戦】柴田が師匠・桜庭超え (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports (2015-07-06). Retrieved on 2015-11-02.
- ↑ Show results - 2/14 New Japan "New Beginning" Night 2: Nakamura defends IC Title in main event, new NWA World champion, new NEVER champion, Bullet Club loses, more . Pro Wrestling Torch (2015-02-14). Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ Rose, Bryan 2015-08-12. NJPW G1 Climax Tournament 8-12 live coverage: Ishii vs. Honma, Okada vs. Nagata . Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Archived from the original on 2015-09-11. Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ ja:【新日Ｇ１】こけし本間 奇跡の１勝 ワースト連敗記録「１７」でストップ. Tokyo Sports (2015-08-13). Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ ja:真壁撃破！石井がＮＥＶＥＲ王座返り咲き (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports (2015-10-13). Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ ja:内藤が不気味予告 パレハと一緒に２対１で棚橋潰す (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports (2015-10-03). Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ Macklin, Matthew 2015-09-25. New Japan Pro Wrestling Destruction in Kobe preview . Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ ja:注目の“内藤のパレハ”の正体は元ヤングライオン渡辺高章=新日本 (in Japanese). Sports Navi. Yahoo! (2015-10-13). Archived from the original on 2015-10-13. Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ ja:新シリーズ全休の新日・内藤が“国外逃亡” (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports (2015-10-23). Retrieved on 2015-10-23.
- ↑ Ingobernables humillaron al 'Depredador del aire' (in Spanish). MedioTiempo (2015-10-24). Retrieved on 2015-10-24.
- ↑ Macklin, Matthew 2015-10-13. New Japan announces details on Power Struggle events including junior tag tournament . Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ Rose, Bryan 2015-10-24. NJPW Road to Power Struggle results: Ricochet/Matt Sydal vs. TimeSplitters . Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved on 2015-11-01.
- ↑ Rose, Bryan 2015-11-01. NJPW Road to Power Struggle (11-1): Young Bucks, reDRagon, Roppongi Vice . Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved on 2015-11-01.
- ↑ ja:内藤の怪行動はタッグリーグへの煙幕作戦？ (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports (2015-11-12). Retrieved on 2015-11-12.
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 Radican, Sean 2015-11-11. 11/7 NJPW "Power Struggle" PPV – Radican reviews Nakamura-Anderson, Honma, more . Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved on 2015-11-11.
- ↑ ja:インターコンチ王者・中邑 １・４Ｖ２戦ＡＪと初の一騎打ち！ (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports (2015-11-09). Retrieved on 2015-11-09.
- ↑ Meltzer, Dave (November 16, 2015). "November 16, 2015 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Seth Rollins injury, Wrestlekingdom 10 matches". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, California: 11–16. ISSN 1083-9593.
- ↑ ja:【WK10】IC王座を賭け、中邑真輔vsAJスタイルズがついに激突！ 因縁のケニーvsKushida、Jr.タッグ4Way戦も正式決定！【1.4東京ドーム第2弾】 (in Japanese). New Japan Pro Wrestling (2015-11-09). Archived from the original on 2015-11-09. Retrieved on 2015-11-09.
- ↑ Caldwell, James 2015-11-09. NJPW – big title matches added to Tokyo Dome . Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved on 2015-11-09.
- ↑ Macklin, Matthew 2015-11-07. Nakamura vs. Karl Anderson, Super Junior tag finals, AJ Styles returns to ring & more: 11/7 NJPW Power Struggle 2015 report . Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved on 2015-11-07.